Home » Dogs » The Truth About Dogs And Chocolate

The Truth About Dogs And Chocolate

chocolate

Yes. It’s true. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

What’s the truth about dogs and chocolate? Is chocolate really deadly to dogs?
Jake K.
Clayton, MO

Unfortunately, those tasty sweets can be toxic to your dog, but it does depend on a few factors.  Those include: how much your pet weighs, how much they consumed and what type of chocolate they ate. Chocolate is directly toxic because of the ingredient called theobromine. The more chocolate liquor there is in a product, the more theobromine present. This makes baking chocolate the worst for pets, followed by semisweet and dark chocolate, followed by milk chocolate, followed by chocolate flavored cakes.

Pancreatitis, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort can happen if chocolate is ingested. The fat and sugar in the chocolate can create an unpleasant but temporary upset stomach. This is what happens in most chocolate ingestion cases.

If your dog has ingested chocolate, the best thing would be to call your vet to see how to proceed. In some cases, it will be recommended to bring your dog to the vet where induced vomiting may be performed before the chocolate is absorbed from the stomach. 

Dr. Melissa Savage, Veterinarian
Millis Animal Hospital

Comments are closed.